These Lentil Puff Pastry Pockets are perfect for a holiday or any special occasion! Filled with lentils, carrots and fresh herbs, they can be the meatless centerpiece to any meal!
The holidays are upon us! I’ve already shared my Pumpkin Vegetable Bake that would be a great side dish but with all the festivities coming up I also wanted to create a main meal that would impress vegans & omnivores alike. Enter my Lentil Puff Pastry Pockets!
These pockets are filled with lentils, carrots and fresh herbs and are seriously delicious. I wanted to use beans for this dish because they’re filling and add protein so that no one will ask you “where you get your protein?”. I decided to use lentils because they’re not as “bean-y” as other beans (if you know what I mean). This way they would be more tempting to even the pickiest of eaters. But really, who wouldn’t want to chow down on one of these cute little pockets?
Lentil Puff Pastry Pockets Cooking
You may have noticed I’m not a fancy cook. I mostly make dishes that are healthy without a lot of fuss. My Lentil Puff Pastry Pockets may look difficult, but trust me, if I can do it, you can.
To save time I actually made the lentils the day before. Then all I had to do was cook up the veggies and make little pockets out of puff pastry the next day. I’ll be honest, I had never worked with puff pastry before doing these but I was surprised how easy it was. Once thawed and rolled, it’s not hard to work with. After rolling, I placed the cooled lentil/carrot mixture in the center and wrapped them up like little presents!
Lentil Puff Pastry Pockets Nutrition
Lentils are nutrition powerhouse. They’re a good source of fiber, protein, iron, potassium, magnesium, and vitamin B-6. Carrots contain beta carotene (for eye health) as well fiber and vitamin C.
You also might be asking – “That is a seriously fabulous napkin featured in your Lentil Puff Pastry Pockets pictures. Where can I get one?” Why, I’d love to tell you. This pretty little napkin is from Beautiful Ingredient and is made with recycled hemp and recycled organic cotton which is so beneficial to our environment. Kari makes lovely napkins, potholders & lots more. And because she is so wonderful, Kari is offering my readers 15% off orders over $25 in the Handmade Shop now through November with the code HOLIDAYVB1012. So head on over to Beautiful Ingredient and see what goodies she has! I’m sure the cooks and home entertainers in your life would love a gift from there!These Lentil Puff Pastry Pockets are a perfect centerpiece for holiday meals! Click To Tweet
So tell me, what are some of your favorite meatless entrees for the holidays?
- 1 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 an onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 stalk of celery, chopped
- 1 C of grated carrot
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 c cooked lentils
- 3 TB tomato paste*
- 2 sheets of puff pastry (make sure it's vegan)
- Flour for dusting work surface
- Olive oil for outside of puff pastry
- Defrost puff pastry to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add olive oil, onion, garlic and celery to pan and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add carrots, rosemary and thyme and cook for another few minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add lentils and tomato paste.
- Let mixture cool a bit (about 10 minutes).
- Sprinkle some flour on your work surface and roll out dough and cut to make 4 even squares about 9" each (2 from each sheet).
- Place 1/4 of mixture in each square and fold up like little presents.
- With a brush or napkin "paint" olive oil on the outside of the puff pastry.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until pastry is browned.
You many need to mix the tomato paste with a tiny bit of water to get it incorporated well.
You may also enjoy...
Like my Lentil Puff Pastry Pockets recipe? It would be so wonderful if you could give it some love by sharing it!