These Spicy Sesame Noodles are perfect when you have a craving for Asian noodles but also want a little kick. They’re so easy to make and much healthier than take out!
You’ve probably noticed I like Asian food after seeing recipes like my Mongolian Soy Curls and Deconstructed Sushi Bowls. You probably won’t be surprised when I tell you I’m pretty much obsessed with those cold sesame noodles you can order at Asian restaurants. I just can’t get enough of them. I love the texture and flavor of the noodles. To save some money (because I order them often) I thought I’d start making my own which I call my Spicy Sesame Noodles.
Since I’m also obsessed with spice and hot sauce, I decided to put my own caliente spin on the noodles. My version adds a little heat in both temperature and spiciness.
To make this a full meal, I decided to add some tempeh for protein. The method I describe in the recipe is my favorite way to cook tempeh. All you need is some tempeh, olive oil and 5 minutes for cooking. The tempeh comes out browned and tasty!These spicy sesame noodles are a perfect way to get a healthy meal on the table fast! Click To Tweet
- 10oz gluten free noodles (I used spaghetti)
- 1 package of tempeh
- 1 TB oil or coconut oil
- 1 TB tamari
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional but tasty!)
- 2 TB sesame seeds (I used black but white it fine too)
- 3 scallions chopped
- 1/3 C tahini
- 1/4 C tamari (or soy sauce if not gf)
- 1/2 C vegetable broth (and more if needed)
- 1/2 tsp powdered ginger
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 TB maple syrup
- 2 TB sriracha (or other hot sauce)
- 2 TB rice wine vinegar (can substitute apple cider vinegar)
- Cook noodles to package directions.
- While noodles are cooking, put tempeh block in a bowl and kind of mash it with a fork until crumbly.
- Add oil to large pan. Once heated, add tempeh crumbles and tamari and cook for about 5 minutes until heated and browned.
- Add all sauce ingredients to a bowl and stir until smooth.
- When noodles are cooked, add them to a large bowl with the sauce. Add in tempeh and mix.
- Top with sesame seeds and scallions.
You may also enjoy...
Like my Spicy Sesame Noodles recipe? It would be so wonderful if you could give it some love by sharing it!