No animals were harmed in the making of this burger, but all of your taste buds will party at the first bite. The recipe for this Vegan BBQ Burger is from the new cookbook Vegan Burgers & Burritos by Sophia DeSantis.
© Sophia DeSantis
I’m excited today to share a recipe from new cookbook Vegan Burgers & Burritos by Sophia DeSantis! You may know Sophia from her blog Veggies Don’t Bite. I’ve been reading her blog for a while and all of her food is amazing! She shares plant-based, gluten-free, and refined sugar-free recipes that are still full of flavor.
I’m such a fan of homemade burgers and burritos but have not had many on my blog yet (well except my Sriracha Burger). That’s why I’m so glad Sophia has allowed me to share this delicious burger with you!
© Sophia DeSantis
Vegan Burgers and Burritos
All the recipes in Sophia’s book are so yummy looking! These veggie burgers and burritos are fun and delicious, and approachable for any cook.
Vegan Burgers & Burritos includes burgers, burritos, lots of sauces and even a few sides – so many goodies!
All of the recipes in the book are:
- refined-sugar free
There’s also a section at the end of the book that includes troubleshooting if a dish didn’t turn out exactly right.
© Sophia DeSantis
Sophia’s recipes are made from whole food ingredients and have a sauce to go with each one. Sauces are usually my main
Some of the other recipes I’m excited to try are:
- Veggie Packed Pizza Burrito
- Sweet Potato Enchilada Burger
- Crispy Buffalo Burrito
- Hawaiian Teriyaki Burger
- The S’mores Burger
*Reprinted with permission from Vegan Burgers and Burritos by Sophia DeSantis, Page Street Publishing Co. 2017. Photo credit: Sophia DeSantis; Lifestyle Photos by Chris Nelson Photography*
Down Home Vegan BBQ Burger
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cup cooked or canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet or yellow onion (see notes)
- 1/4 cup cooked chopped potato (see notes)
- 2 TB cornmeal
- 1 TB Easy Homemade BBQ Sauce (recipe below)
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1.5 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1/4-1/2 cup cooked frozen corn (defrosted to room temp) or fresh corn (add less or more per your preference)
- 4-5 buns
- Lightly grilled rings of sweet or yellow onion
- Place the rice, beans, onion, potato, cornmeal, BBQ sauce, garlic powder, chili powder, liquid smoke, salt and syrup into a food processor. Pulse a few times until chunky. Add the corn and pulse a few more times. Don’t overpulse or the mixture will get too soft and diplike.
- Place the mixture into a bowl, and put it in the fridge for at least 20 minutes; an hour is best. Making this the day before and letting it sit overnight is optimal. This helps all the flavors marinate and leads to a sturdier burger.
- To cook, shape the mixture into patties. If you’re not using a nonstick pan, then you may want to prepare the pan by brushing it with a tad of oil to avoid sticking. Place the patties in a pan on the stovetop over medium heat for 15 minutes on each side. Pans and stovetops vary, so begin to check the patties at 10 minutes. If you try to slide your spatula under a patty and it won’t give, then it isn’t ready and needs to cook longer.You can also bake the patties on a parchment-lined cookie sheet at 375F (191C) for about 20 to 25 minutes on each side. Allow the patties to cool and set for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Serve on buns with the toppings of your choice.
Easy Homemade BBQ Sauce
- Put the tomato paste, broth, maple syrup, molasses, vinegar, liquid smoke, chili powder, salt and garlic powder in a bowl and mix well until smooth.
Mary Ellen Valverde MS, CNS, LDN is a Licensed Nutritionist and Certified Nutrition Specialist who empowers vegans to feel confident creating sustainable habits that align with their values and health goals. She shares easy plant-powered food to nourish your body + satisfy your tastebuds. Mary Ellen’s recipes and nutrition info have been featured on Yahoo News, Parade, VegNews, LIVESTRONG, Dr. Axe, Greatist, LIVEKINDLY, Brit+Co, Well+Good, and more. She lives in NJ with her husband & two sweet shih tzus, Firenze & Sophie.