These walnut meat tacos are a great alternative to beef and packs a punch of protein!
Never had a taco?
As I explained before, growing up I didn’t really try many new foods. I was never that into meat (especially ground meat found in most tacos) so I never really cared about trying tacos.
So when I forgot my lunch one day, I decided to take a trip to Chipotle with a few of my friends to finally try a taco at Chipotle. They had two vegan choices of taco fillings – beans or sofritas ( organic soy crumble mixture). I chose the sofritas because I heard they were very good…and they were delicious!
Walnut Meat Tacos
Now that my mind has been opened to the goodness of tacos, I wanted to recreate a vegan version for myself that I could have on Taco Tuesdays. Although I eat soy a few times a week, I decided to switch things up and create a meat alternative for those that are not into tofu.
I was thinking of doing lentils but I ran out last weekend (mental note to get some) so after fishing around I found some walnuts. I’ve ground walnuts before for tart/pie bases and it looks sort of like meat so I figured I’d go with it. Turns out, walnuts make a tasty meat alternative! I love my walnut meat tacos and have been sharing them with everyone lately!
Nutritionally walnuts offer us healthy fat (including omega-3 fatty acids). Fatty Acids are a main component of our cell membranes. Omega 3s can also have a beneficial affect on cardiovascular disease (source) and depression (source).
Walnuts are a great source of plant-based protein and contain vitamin B6, magnesium, and fiber.
These Walnut 'Meat' Tacos are a great #vegan alternative to traditional tacos & easy to make!Click To Tweet
Yields 6-8 tacos
- 1.5 cups de-shelled walnuts
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 Tb tamari (or soy sauce if not gf )
- Taco shells (I used organic & gluten-free)
- Toppings - about 1-2 cups total of chopped carrots, red cabbage, onion, cilantro
- 1 Cup cashews soaked overnight (or soaked at least 10 mins in boiling water)
- 6 Tb water
- 2 Tb lime juice
- 1 TB apple cider vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- Add walnuts to a food processor and process until mixture is kind of "meaty".
- Put mixture in bowl and add seasonings and mix.
- Add rest of the ingredients (up until tamari) and stir until incorporated
- Fill taco shells with walnut mixture and top with toppings of choice.
- To make the lime cashew sour cream put all the ingredients in a high speed blender and blend until smooth. Top tacos with sour cream. Sour cream will last in the fridge covered for about a week.
You may also enjoy…
Like my Walnut Meat Tacos recipe? It would be so wonderful if you could give it some love by sharing!