Root Vegetable and Lentil Stew
This Root Vegetable Lentil Stew is hearty and filling meal for chilly nights. It's the ultimate vegan comfort food. Recipe by Laura Theodore, from JazzyVegetarian's Deliciously Vegan. Published by Scribe Publishing, ©2018, reprinted by permission.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
- 1.5 cups lentil trio blend, picked over, rinsed well (see note)
- 4 medium carrots peeled and thickly sliced
- 4 medium russet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2 large sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 26 to 28 ounce can diced fire-roasted tomatoes, with juice (see note)
- 6 cups water
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1 vegan bouillon cube crumbled
- 1 tsp tamari
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- .5 tsp garam masala (see note)
- sea salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
Put all of the ingredients into a large soup pot and stir to combine.
Cover and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
Decrease the heat to medium-low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the root vegetables and the lentils are soft.
Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Spoon into deep bowls and serve with a green salad on the side.
- If you cannot find a pre-packaged lentil trio blend, you may use any combination of black beluga, red and/or green lentils. Alternately, you may combine and use two or three of your favorite lentil varieties in this recipe.
- If you cannot find fire-roasted tomatoes, you may substitute regular canned diced tomatoes.
- For a spicier stew, use 1 teaspoon garam masala.