Breakfast Polenta with Berry Compote
This creamy dairy-free Breakfast Polenta is a tasty alternative to oatmeal to start the day. Topped with berries and cashew cream, it's an easy to make, gluten-free, and delicious breakfast!
Posted with permission from Jackie Sobon's Vegan Yack Attack On The Go! © 2018 Quarto Publishing Group USA Inc.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
- 2 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup polenta/grits
- .25 cup maple syrup
- pinch salt
For the Toppings
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup blackberries
- 2 TB water
- .25 cup cashew cream (see instructions below)
In a large pot over medium-high heat, bring the nondairy milk and water to a boil.
Stir in the polenta grits, and adjust the heat to medium-low. Cook—covered but vented, stirring occasionally—for 18 to 20 minutes, or until the polenta is creamy.*
Stir in the maple syrup, and add salt to taste. Keep warm until ready to serve.
While the polenta is cooking, warm the blueberries, blackberries, and water in a small saucepan over medium heat.* Bring to a simmer, adjust the heat to medium-low, and cook until the berries start to break down, about 10 minutes. Lightly mash the berries if they are not breaking apart.
To make the cashew cream add 1/2 cup of raw cashews with 1/4 cup of water (you may need more) to a high speed blender and blend until smooth.*
Divide the creamy polenta between 4 bowls, and top each with some berry mixture.
Dollop 1 tablespoon of Simple Cashew Cream on top of each bowl (if using), and serve warm.
* If you do not have fresh berries on hand, frozen will also work. You may have to cook them longer because they retain more water.
* Jackie's directions call for the polenta to be cooked for 18-20 minutes but mine were done in like 5-8 mins. See post for more details.
* Make sure to soak the raw cashews in hot water for 10 mins before blending. This recipe will make much more than what is called for in the recipe but you can use the leftovers to make anything else creamy too!
* Nutrition info does not include cashew cream.
Calories: 227kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 1.5g | Fiber: 5g | Vitamin A: 475IU | Vitamin C: 12.4mg | Calcium: 125mg | Iron: 4.5mg