This Vegan Thai Red Curry Mac and Cheese is the ultimate comforting fusion dish! The (dairy-free) creamy sauce, made from cashews & coconut milk, includes Thai red curry paste for a new twist on vegan mac and cheese.
If you don’t already know, I love vegan mac and cheese. No, like I’m really obsessed.
Because I couldn’t give up my mac and cheese when I went vegan, I just decided to make vegan versions of my favorite food like my…
I’ve got a number of others up my sleeve so stay tuned!
So when I was asked to review Robin Roberston’s new book Vegan Mac and Cheese, I knew it was something I’d love to do.
Robin’s book includes more than 50 delicious plant-based comfort food recipes. It’s amazing how many versions of vegan mac and cheese there are!
Her chapters include:
- Basic Vegan Mac & Cheese – with recipes such as Soy-Good Mac & Cheese, One-Pot Cheesy Mac, Mom’s Baked Mac Uncheese
- Global Cheesy Macs:- with recipes such as Italian Macaroni Pie, Käsespätzle, Mac and Creole
- Mac and Veggies (my favorite!): – with recipes such as Cheesy Primavera Mac, Arugala Pesto Mac Uncheese, Brussels and Bacon Cheesy Mac
- Meaty Macs – with recipes such as Chili Mac, Shepard’s Mac, Brat & Kraut Mac & Cheese
- Fun with Mac & Cheese: – with recipes such as Cheesy Mac Mug, Waffled Mac Uncheese, Mac Uncheese Balls
So if you’re looking to up your vegan mac and cheese game, definitely check out Robin’s new book, Vegan Mac and Cheese!
Another thing I’m pretty much obsessed with is Thai food.
Considering my love of both Thai food and vegan mac and cheese, could I not choose to share this Thai Red Curry Mac and Cheese?
Vegan Thai Red Curry Mac & Cheese
This Vegan Thai Red Curry Mac & Cheese is made creamy, yet dairy-free, by adding cashews and coconut milk. I’ve used both cashews and coconut milk to make plant-based dishes creamy before, but have never used both at the same time – yum!
The Thai red curry paste adds a real depth of flavor to the pasta sauce. It’s spicy without bring too much heat.
I love the fusion of my beloved vegan mac and cheese with Thai red curry…and I think you will as well if you love cuisines half as much as I do!
If you didn’t notice, I used bowtie pasta for this Thai Curry Mac and Cheese – get it: Thai/Tie? You know that made you smile!
Add in Those Veggies!
As a nutritionist, I am all for adding veggies into every meal.
While Robin’s original recipe doesn’t call for veggies specifically, she notes to add veggies such as red bell pepper, carrot, broccoli, or snow peas.
While the pasta was cooking, I stir fried some chopped red bell pepper and shredded carrots for a few minutes. Once the pasta and sauce were combined, I added the veggies too.
While I only used red pepper and carrots when I took the photos, I think I would have really enjoyed the other two veggies in there as well.
If you make this recipe, let me know what you think by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below.
Share your pictures of any of my recipes on Instagram and use #vnutrition or tag @maryellenvalverde so I won’t miss it!
Thai Red Curry Mac and Cheese
Thai Red Curry Sauce
- 2 tsp neutral vegetable oil (I used olive oil)
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 3 TB Thai red curry paste
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 cups water, divided
- .75 cup unsalted raw cashews, soaked in boiling water for 30 minutes, drained
- 13 oz can unsweetened coconut milk
- 16 oz small pasta I used gluten free
- chopped roasted peanuts
- fresh Thai basil, or chopped fresh cilantro
- red pepper flakes
- lime wedges for serving
To make the sauce:
- In a skillet over medium heat, heat the vegetable oil.
- Add the onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the curry paste, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Stir in 1 cup (240 ml) of water and remove the skillet from the heat.
- In a high-speed blender, combine the cashews and remaining 1 cup (240 ml) of water. Blend until completely smooth. Add the curry mixture and blend again until smooth. Set aside.
To make the pasta:
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook according to the package directions until al dente. Drain well and return it to pot.
- Stir in the curry sauce and coconut milk. Place the pot over low heat and cook, stirring occasionally, for a few minutes to heat through and thicken the sauce. Taste and adjust the seasoning, as needed.
- Transfer to a large serving dish and serve hot, sprinkled with peanuts, basil, and red pepper flakes (if using), with lime wedges on the side for squeezing.
Get your FREE Vegan Made Easy Guide!
Like this Vegan Thai Red Curry Mac and Cheese recipe? You might also enjoy…
Mary Ellen Valverde MS, CNS, LDN is a Licensed Nutritionist and Certified Nutrition Specialist helping people thrive on a plant-powered diet. Mary Ellen offers a completely holistic and science-based approach to designing a healthy, plant-based life.
When she’s not working with clients or creating new meals for her blog, you can find Mary Ellen doting on her two rescue shih tzus, creating the perfect vegan mac & cheese, or exploring the world with her husband.