These Vegan Carrot Cake Cupcakes are a perfect treat for Easter, springtime, or to make for the bunny lovers in your life.
I'm not sure if I ever shared this before but my husband, Matt, calls me "Bunny". I don't remember exactly where it came from but I think had something to do with me jumping around in snow piles and he said I looked like a snow bunny.
I won't lie, I encouraged the nickname because I've always loved bunnies - and who doesn't want to be thought of as a cute little bunny? You know I do! I also had a sweet little bunny growing up called Gingerbread (who I named my Gingerbread Hot Chocolate after) and since then I've loved anything bunny-ish.
Vegan Carrot Cake Cupcakes
So when thinking of what to make for an Easter dessert, I wanted to do something with a bunny. Bunnies eat carrots so I thought why not do a carrot cake? I figured I could top it with a bunny and I'd be all set.
I liked the idea of having more color on the cake so I did a bit of green grass on them too like the bunny was hopping around in some grass having a fun old time.
My Vegan Carrot Cake Cupcakes are not exactly like a traditional carrot cake. I use grated carrot but I left out the raisins and walnut. It's my personal choice as I don't really eat raisins and I'm not a fan of nuts in my cake - I'm more of a smooth cake kind of gal. If you like walnuts and/or raisins, feel free to throw some in.
Nutrition-wise, these are still desserts with sugar in them so I'm not saying you can eat 5 at a sitting but we all need some treats now and then. To make them a bit healthier I used less regular vegetable oil (which can be higher in Omega 6 fatty acids - the pro-inflammatory kind) and subbed in some healthier fats like coconut oil and nut butter.
Cupcake Decorating Ideas
I made the bunnies on top of the cupcake by melting vegan chocolate and adding them into bunny molds but there are a number of other ways to decorate them such as:
- crushing some walnuts adding them to the rim of the frosted cupcakes
- piping carrots made of frosting on the top
- making little chocolate bunny feet sticking out of the grass (like the bunny jumped in the grass)
- adding vegan fruit bunnies or vegan jelly beans on top
I think this would be a fun little project to get the kids involved in. I'm sure they'd love adding decorations and the grass to the cupcakes.
They don't have to be only for Easter - bunnies are in style throughout spring and all year round (or is that just me?)!
And if you're looking for some other fun cupcakes, check out my Vampire Bite Cupcakes.
If you make this recipe and LOVE IT, please give it 5 stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐!
Vegan Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese FrostingEmail Recipe & Ingredients
For the Carrot Cake
- 2 cups Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour see notes
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 carrot (about ¾ cup), grated
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 flax egg (1 TB ground flax & 3 TB warm water mixed - let sit for 5-10 mins)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 Tablespoons almond butter
- 3 Tablespoons coconut oil , melted
Cream Cheese Frosting*
- 1 8 oz tub of vegan cream cheese (like Tofutti)
- ⅓ cup of vegan butter (like Earth Balance)
- 1 Tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
Chocolate Bunnies & Grass
- Bunny Mold
- Enjoy Life Vegan Chocolate Chips
- Vegan Food Coloring or green sprinkles
To Make Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix "dry" ingredients together in a large bowl: flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and carrots.
- In a separate bowl, mix "wet" ingredients: flax egg, vanilla, almond butter, coconut oil.
- Combine wet ingredients with dry ingredient until fully incorporated.
- Scoop out cupcake batter into cupcake wrappers in a cupcake pan and bake for 15-20 minutes - test will toothpick until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool cupcakes fully before frosting them
To Make Frosting
- In mixer, mix cream cheese, vegan butter, lemon juice, and vanilla until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar (¼-1/2 cup at a time) until fully combined and smooth.
- Refrigerate for about 15 minutes before icing the cooled cupcakes.
To Make Chocolate Bunnies
- Melt some vegan chocolate chips on a double boiler.
- Add to bunny candy molds.
- Place in fridge until hardened.
Putting it all together
- Frost cupcakes (saving a little for the "grass".
- Take the extra frosting and put it in a small bowl. Mix in green food coloring. Add green frosting to ziplock bag (I found the stiffer freezer bags work better) and pipe some "grass" onto the middle of the cupcake.
- Add chocolate bunny.
PLEASE NOTE: Nutritional information data is computer generated and only an estimate so it should be used only as a guide.
Mary Ellen Valverde MS, CNS, LDN is a Licensed Nutritionist and Certified Nutrition Specialist who empowers vegans to feel confident in creating sustainable habits that align with their values and health goals. She shares easy gluten-free plant-powered food to nourish your body + satisfy your tastebuds. Mary Ellen's recipes and nutrition info have been featured on Yahoo News, Parade, VegNews, LIVESTRONG, Dr. Axe, Greatist, LIVEKINDLY, Brit+Co, Well+Good, and more.