These Vegan Carrot Cake Cupcakes are a perfect treat for Easter or to make for the bunny lovers in your life.
I’m not sure if I ever shared this before but my husband, Matt, calls me “Bunny”. I don’t remember exactly where it came from but I think had something to do with me jumping around in snow piles and he said I looked like a snow bunny. I won’t lie, I encouraged the nickname because I’ve always loved bunnies – and who doesn’t want to be thought of as a cute little bunny? You know I do! I also had a sweet little bunny growing up called Gingerbread (who I named my Gingerbread Hot Chocolate after) and since then I’ve loved anything bunny-ish.
Vegan Carrot Cake Cupcakes
So when thinking of what to make for an Easter dessert, I wanted to do something with a bunny. Bunnies eat carrots so I thought why not do a carrot cake? I figured I could top it with a bunny and I’d be all set. I liked the idea of having more color on the cake so I did a bit of green grass on them too like the bunny was hopping around in some grass having a fun old time.
My Vegan Carrot Cake Cupcakes are not exactly like a traditional carrot cake. I use grated carrot but I left out the raisins and walnut. It’s my personal choice as I don’t really eat raisins and I’m not a fan of nuts in my cake – I’m more of a smooth cake kind of gal. If you like walnuts and/or raisins, feel free to throw some in. You could even crush up some walnuts and use them around the rim of your frosted cupcakes.
Nutrition-wise, these are still desserts with sugar in them so I’m not saying you can eat 5 at a sitting but we all need some treats now and then. To make them a bit healthier I used less regular vegetable oil (which can be higher in Omega 6 fatty acids – the pro-inflammatory kind) and subbed in some healthier fats like coconut oil and nut butter.
I think this would be a fun little project to get the kids involved in. I’m sure they’d love adding grass and chocolate bunnies to the cupcakes. They don’t have to be only for Easter if you don’t celebrate – bunnies are in style all year round (or is that just for me?)!
These Vegan Carrot Cake Cupcakes are a perfect treat for Easter!Click To Tweet
Vegan Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
For the Carrot Cake
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 carrot (about 3/4 cup), grated
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 flax egg (1 TB ground flax & 3 TB warm water mixed - let sit for 5-10 mins)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 TB almond butter
- 3 TB coconut oil , melted
Cream Cheese Frosting*
- 1 8 oz tub of vegan cream cheese (like Tofutti)
- 1/3 cup of vegan butter (like Earth Balance)
- 1 TB lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
Chocolate Bunnies & Grass
- Bunny Mold
- Enjoy Life Vegan Chocolate Chips
- Vegan Food Coloring or green sprinkles
To Make Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix "dry" ingredients together in a large bowl: flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and carrots.
- In a separate bowl, mix "wet" ingredients: flax egg, vanilla, almond butter, coconut oil.
- Combine wet ingredients with dry ingredient until fully incorporated.
- Scoop out cupcake batter into cupcake wrappers in a cupcake pan and bake for 15-20 minutes - test will toothpick until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool cupcakes fully before frosting them
To Make Frosting
- In mixer, mix cream cheese, vegan butter, lemon juice, and vanilla until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar (1/4-1/2 cup at a time) until fully combined and smooth.
- Refridgerate for about 15 minutes before icing the cooled cupcakes.
To Make Chocolate Bunnies
- Melt some vegan chocolate chips on a double boiler.
- Add to bunny candy molds.
- Place in fridge until hardened.
Putting it all together
- Frost cupcakes (saving a little for the "grass".
- Take the extra frosting and put it in a small bowl. Mix in green food coloring. Add green frosting to ziplock bag (I found the stiffer freezer bags work better) and pipe some "grass" onto the middle of the cupcake.
- Add chocolate bunny.
Recipe NotesI've made these cupcakes with the cream cheese frosting as well as with regular non-dairy vanilla icing. If you're not up for making the frosting, you can sub in any non-dairy vegan frosting.
You may also enjoy…
[cp_modal display=”inline” id=”cp_id_90426″][/cp_modal]
Like my Vegan Carrot Cake Cupcakes recipe? It would be so wonderful if you could give it some love by sharing!