This Vegan Colcannon Soup is a twist on the Irish classic. This creamy soup is filled with potatoes and kale and is perfect for a St. Patrick’s Day celebration or anytime you need a cozy, warming meal.
My Potato Beginnings
I grew up mainly with my Irish side of the family so potatoes were a big part of dinners when we got together. If there were leftover mashed potatoes, my Nana would make them into potato pancakes the next day. Anytime I have some creamy potatoes, I think of my Nana and the good times I’ve shared with her and it makes me so happy.
Lately though, potatoes have gotten a bad wrap because of the low carb craze. While I agree that sweet potatoes offer a bigger punch nutritionally, it doesn’t hurt to have some regular old potatoes sometimes. White potatoes, like the russet kind I used in my recipe, are not processed like white bread or pasta, they’re a whole food that contains some vitamins and minerals we need (like potassium and vitamins B6 and C). So let’s give our friend the potato a chance – especially in this tasty Vegan Colcannon Soup!
Vegan Colcannon Soup
While my family loved potatoes and made them often, I never had colcannon growing up. I’m pretty sure that had to do with the fact that my family didn’t eat vegetables (except random canned ones) so we never had kale or cabbage for anything.
Once I tried colcannon, I loved it! Adding 2 of my favorite veggies together? Yes, please! I thought about doing a regular vegan colcannon, however, in the winter I always crave soup so I decided to do a soup version still using onions, potatoes, and kale. I think it turned out really nice and I hope you do too! I’ve made this recipe numerous times while testing and still can’t get enough of it. I think I’m going to try a version with cabbage too and I’ll keep you updated on how that works.
This tasty soup is a veganized version of the classic Irish Colcannon. Click To Tweet
Yields Serves 4-6 large portions
- 2 TB olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 cups vegetable broth/stock
- 2 cups russet potatoes, peeled and chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1.5 cups kale, stems removed and chopped
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked for a few hours or in hot water for 10 mins
- 1/2 cup water
- Scallions for topping
- Heat oil in large pot. Add onions and garlic and cook until onions are translucent (3-5 mins).
- Add vegetable broth, potatoes, salt and pepper to pot and cook covered on medium until potatoes are fully cooked and are starting to break apart (about 20 mins).
- While potatoes are cooking, add cashews and water to a high speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Once potatoes are cooked, mash them a bit with a fork so that half of them are broken apart.
- Add kale and cook for a few minutes until kale is fully cooked.
- Add cashew cream to pot and stir until fully combined and cook for another few minutes.
- Top with scallions and enjoy!
You may also enjoy…
Like my Vegan Colcannon Soup recipe? It would be so wonderful if you could give it some love by sharing!