This creamy vegan Pumpkin Pasta is perfect for fall. The sauce highlights the deliciousness of pumpkin & is rich and creamy (without the dairy). This hearty pasta will be a hit at dinnertime!
From some of my other posts (like my mac & cheese and pistachio pesto) you might have realized I love pasta… but once fall hits I’m also a pumpkin freak. I figured why not combine my two loves for the perfect fall dish? So that’s what I did and the end result is a tasty and creamy pumpkin pasta!
I wanted to make this sauce as rich as one that contained dairy (but without using the dairy) so one of my favorite ingredients came into play – coconut milk. This time, however, I didn’t use the whole can of coconut milk. Side Note: Did you know that if you cool a can of coconut milk the creamy fat part will sink to the bottom and harden? If so you’re an awesome coconut fan like me and if you didn’t, now you’re a coconut pro too! So I scooped out the hard coconut and used that part to keep the sauce thick yet creamy. And don’t be scared of fat, it’s totally good for you if you’re using a healthy kind like coconut!
I love the flavors of pumpkin and sage together and knew that would add depth to my sauce so I added a nice amount of sage as well as a pinch of red pepper flakes – don’t worry my non-spicy-loving-friends, the sauce itself is not spicy but the pinch of pepper pushes it over the edge into amazing!
Vegan Pumpkin Pasta Nutrition
This pasta is loaded with beta-carotene from the pumpkin! Beta-carotene can be converted to Vitamin A in our bodies and aids in vision health as well as a healthy immune system. The sauce contains a nice serving of fat from the coconut milk – and like I said above don’t be scared of good fats our brain needs fat!
Serve this vegan pumpkin pasta with a big green salad topped with a nice handful of nuts and you should be good to go nutrition-wise for dinner!
Don’t forget to top this tasty dish with my parmesan cheese alternative! It adds that extra hint of cheesy flavor!This vegan Pumpkin Pasta is the perfect rich creamy fall dinner - without the dairy! Click To Tweet
Yields 2 cups sauce
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large clove of garlic, minced
- 3 TB fresh sage leaves, chopped
- Pinch of hot pepper flakes
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 c vegetable broth
- 1 can pumpkin puree
- 1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 TB nutritional yeast
- Pasta of choice (gluten-free if needed)
- Place coconut milk upside down in freezer while making the rest of the meal.
- Make pasta (as much as needed).*
- While pasta is cooking, heat olive oil in large saucepan.
- Add garlic and onion and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in sage, hot pepper flakes, basil, salt, pepper and nutmeg and cook for about a minute.
- Add broth and pumpkin.
- Open coconut milk and scoop out the hardened top part and add that along with vinegar and nutritional yeast to pan (do not add watery part of coconut milk) and stir.
- Bring the sauce to a boil then turn heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add sauce to blender and blend.
- Pour over cooked pasta.
- Top with more sage leaves and my vegan parmesan (link to recipe below).
*This recipe makes 2 cups of sauce which should make more sauce than needed for a box of pasta.
You may also like…
Like my Creamy Pumpkin Pasta recipe? It would be so wonderful if you could give it some love by sharing!