This creamy Vegan Pumpkin Pasta is perfect for fall. The sauce highlights the deliciousness of pumpkin & is rich and creamy (without the dairy). This hearty pasta will be a hit at dinner time!
I figured why not combine my two loves for the perfect fall dish? So that’s what I did and the end result is a tasty and creamy vegan pumpkin pasta!
Coconut Cream for the Win
I wanted to make this sauce as rich as one that contained dairy (but without using the dairy) so one of my favorite ingredients came into play – coconut milk. This time, however, I didn’t use the whole can of coconut milk.
Side Note: Did you know that if you cool a can of coconut milk the creamy fat part will sink to the bottom and harden? If so you’re an awesome coconut fan like me and if you didn’t, now you’re a coconut pro too! I scooped out the hard coconut and used that part to keep the vegan pumpkin pasta sauce thick yet creamy.
I know low fat is all the rage right now but unless you have a specific condition where fat is not allowed, you don’t need to be scared of healthy fat like in coconut. It’s totally good for us and keeps us full.
An Elegant Pasta
I love the flavors of pumpkin and sage together. The sage adds a nice depth to the vegan pumpkin pasta sauce. I feel like it elevates the sauce and makes it “elegant”. It would be perfect to make for a fall/winter dinner party.
I added a pinch of red pepper flakes as well- don’t worry my non-spicy-loving-friends, the sauce itself is not spicy but the pinch of pepper pushes it over the edge into amazing!
Healthy Vegan Pumpkin Pasta
This pasta is loaded with beta-carotene from the pumpkin. Beta-carotene can be converted to Vitamin A in our bodies and aids in vision health as well as a healthy immune system.
The sauce contains a nice serving of fat from the coconut milk – and like I said above don’t be scared of good fats our brain needs fat!
Serve this vegan pumpkin pasta with a big green salad topped with a nice handful of nuts and you should be good to go nutrition-wise for dinner.
Don’t forget to top this tasty dish with my parmesan cheese alternative! It adds that extra hint of cheesy flavor.
Need some other amazing pasta dishes? I also recommend checking out these:
- Easy Peanut Noodles
- Pumpkin Mac & Cheese (you can never have enough mac & cheese)
- Cauliflower Alfredo
- Lemon One Pot Pasta
- Vegan Ranch Pasta Salad
- Thai Basil Noodles
If you make this recipe and LOVE IT, please give it 5 stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐!
Vegan Pumpkin Pasta
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/2 onion , chopped
- 1 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large clove of garlic , minced
- 3 TB fresh sage leaves , chopped
- Pinch of hot pepper flakes
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 c vegetable broth
- 1 can pumpkin puree
- 1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 TB nutritional yeast
- Pasta of choice (gluten-free if needed)
- Place coconut milk upside down in freezer while making the rest of the meal.
- Make pasta (as much as needed).*
- While pasta is cooking, heat olive oil in large saucepan.
- Add garlic and onion and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in sage, hot pepper flakes, basil, salt, pepper and nutmeg and cook for about a minute.
- Add broth and pumpkin.
- Open coconut milk and scoop out the hardened top part and add that along with vinegar and nutritional yeast to pan (do not add watery part of coconut milk) and stir.
- Bring the sauce to a boil then turn heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add sauce to blender and blend.
- Pour over cooked pasta.
- Top with more sage leaves and my vegan parmesan (link to recipe below).
Mary Ellen Valverde MS, CNS, LDN is a Licensed Nutritionist and Certified Nutrition Specialist who empowers vegans to feel confident creating sustainable habits that align with their values and health goals. She shares easy plant-powered food to nourish your body + satisfy your tastebuds. Mary Ellen’s recipes and nutrition info have been featured on Yahoo News, Parade, VegNews, LIVESTRONG, Dr. Axe, Greatist, LIVEKINDLY, Brit+Co, Well+Good, and more. She lives in NJ with her husband & two sweet shih tzus, Firenze & Sophie.