This easy Vegan Mushroom Risotto saves so much time by using pre-cooked rice and creamy hummus. It’s an easy and healthy meal when you need dinner on the table fast.
I’ll be honest with you, I’ve never been that into cooking.
Are you now thinking “girl, then what are you doing with site sharing vegan recipes?”
Well, being a functional nutritionist, I realized the only way to stay healthy is to cook for myself most of the time.
Home Cooking, Healthy Cooking
By cooking most of my own meals, I know exactly what’s going into them.
Don’t get me wrong, if a fabulous chef decided she/he wanted to cook healthy and delicious vegan food for me daily, I’d be all over it but that’s not going to happen so I do it for myself.
Lucky for me, I enjoy finding fun, healthier, and easier ways to create some of my old pre-vegan favorites such as my:
I love sharing these recipes with others in case they’re looking for the same thing.
A 10 Minute Vegan Risotto… Really?
Yes… kind of. Okay maybe it’s not exactly a traditional risotto but my dish is creamy and tasty and I bet if you told people you cooked this risotto for an hour they would probably believe you.
I usually don’t have an hour to keep an eye on risotto like you would traditionally do so I came up with a little hack to mimic the creaminess of risotto using hummus at the very end.
Easy Vegan Mushroom Risotto
I know! How awesome is hummus? I’ve been doing this for years and realized I need to share this with you so you can have some tasty easy vegan risotto in no time as well.
Meal Prep Tip: If you’ve read my Vegan Meal Planning post, you know I pre-cook the rice at the beginning of the week so all I have to do is cook up some onion and mushrooms, heat up the rice and add some hummus and I have a yummy and healthy meal on the table in 10 minutes!
Looking for some other one easy one-pot recipes? Check these out:
If you make this easy vegan mushroom risotto recipe, let me know what you think by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below.
Easy Vegan Mushroom Risotto (A 10 Minute Recipe!)
- 1 TB extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil (or veg broth if you’re not using oil)
- ¼ onion chopped
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 2 cups mushrooms (I used shiitake & oyster but feel free to use your favorites)
- ½ cup vegetable broth divided in 2
- 1 TB nutritional yeast
- 1 TB tamari (or soy sauce if not gf)
- 1 TB lemon juice
- 2 cups pre-cooked brown rice
- ¼ cup plain hummus
- Vegan Parmesan
- Heat oil in large saute pan/pot, add onion and garlic and cook 3 minutes until onion is translucent. If using veggie broth instead of oil, add enough broth to just cover the bottom of the pan and add more if needed.
- Add mushrooms and 1/4 cup of veggie broth and cook until mushrooms are done (about 5 minutes).
- Add another 1/4 cup of veggie broth, nutritional yeast, tamari, and lemon juice and stir.
- Add rice and cook for a few minutes until heated through.
- Turn off heat and stir in hummus.
- Top with fresh parsley and Vegan Parmesan
Please Note: The nutritional information is a computer generated estimate so these numbers should be used only as a guide.
You may also enjoy…
Mary Ellen Valverde MS, CNS, LDN is a Licensed Nutritionist and Certified Nutrition Specialist who empowers vegans to feel confident in creating sustainable habits that align with their values and health goals. She shares easy plant-powered food to nourish your body + satisfy your tastebuds. Mary Ellen’s recipes and nutrition info have been featured on Yahoo News, Parade, VegNews, LIVESTRONG, Dr. Axe, Greatist, LIVEKINDLY, Brit+Co, Well+Good, and more.