This Vegan Buffalo Chicken Rice Skillet is perfect for a football night dinner. Vegan chick’n, brown rice and veggies are smothered in hot sauce and topped with ranch sauce for a tasty meal!
I’m so obsessed with Buffalo anything – as you may have read in my quinoa buffalo balls post. I just can’t get enough of that hot sauce taste! The Super Bowl is coming up and I’m annoyed that the Dolphins are not in it again so I will be drowning my sorrows in vegan food. I was getting some recipes ready for Sunday and realized I didn’t have an actual entree for dinner. I thought I should eat something substantial even if it’s earlier in the day before I started getting into all of the fun appetizers when the game began – so I decided to create a full meal that would go with the celebrating.
I decided to use chick’n strips, then added in lots of veggies and some brown rice to keep the dish nutritious. All of these ingredients are simmered in hot sauce and topped with ranch sauce to make my Vegan Buffalo Chicken Rice Skillet!
Vegan Buffalo Chicken Rice Skillet
When deciding on the veggies to add to my Buffalo Chicken Rice, my first choice was celery because it’s usually eaten with those flavors but let’s be honest, a little celery wasn’t cutting it. I also added carrots because they’re tasty and I felt like I needed one more veggie but couldn’t decide what it should be. I called my sister (because she’s my idea gal) and she recommended cauliflower. It was a great idea because it’s not an overwhelming flavor and can be cut into bite-sized pieces which would fit in with the recipe.
This Buffalo Chicken Rice topped with ranch makes a perfect football meal!Click To Tweet
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 small carrots, chopped
- 2 large stalks of celery, chopped
- 2 C cauliflower, chopped into small bite-sized pieces
- 1 C veggie broth (more if needed)
- 10 oz vegan chicken strips, chopped and defrosted if frozen
- 2 C cooked brown rice
- 3 TB tomato sauce
- 1/4 c hot sauce like Frank's Red Hot
- 2 TB nutritional yeast
- Vegan Ranch Sauce
- Add oil, onion and garlic to a large skillet/saute pan and cook about 3-5 minutes until onion is translucent.
- Add carrots, celery, cauliflower and veggie broth and cook covered for 10-15 minutes or until veggies are cooked through. You may need to add more veggie broth or water while cooking, however there shouldn't be too much liquid left after the veggies are done otherwise the dish will be too wet. You want a little coating on the bottom of the pan but if there's too much liquid once the veggies are finished cooking, pour a little out.
- Add rice, chick'n, tomato sauce, hot sauce, nutritional yeast and cook for about 3 minutes or until all ingredients are heated through.
- Top with some ranch sauce and serve!
You make also like…
Like my Vegan Buffalo Chicken Rice recipe? It would be so wonderful if you could give it some love by sharing!