This White Bean Tomato Soup is packed with flavor and is so easy to make. Full of fire roasted tomatoes, veggies and white beans, it makes the perfect healthy weeknight meal that’s ready in about 30 minutes! With all those veggies, it’s comfort food that both vegans and omnivores will love!
Nothing says love in a bowl like some healthy, hearty soup.
I’m all about the soups whether it’s chilly outside or not (because you ladies know what I’m talking about with that arctic air conditioning in the summer).
That’s why I make soup all year long. BTW, if you’re looking for some other tasty soups, check out my Roasted Tomato Chickpea Soup, Vegan Colcannon Soup, Creamy Vegetable Soup in the Instant Pot, and Creamy Vegan Corn Chowder).
A Healthy, Easy-To-Make Soup
Today I’m sharing this White Bean Tomato Soup from my friend Melanie McDonald new cookbook, Vegan Comfort Cooking.
You probably know Mel from her popular blog, A Virtual Vegan. Her recipes are so amazingly delicious and have that cozy quality missing in a lot of cooking today.
This soup is so flavorful and I’ll tell you, it’s even better heated up the next day!
It’s a no-fuss yet home-cooked soup that will have the whole family asking for seconds!
Vegan Home Cooking
If you’re looking for vegan comfort food, I really recommend Vegan Comfort Cooking to “Satisfy Cravings and Warm Your Soul”.
Besides the White Bean Tomato Soup, Mel’s cookbook contains 75 recipes (with full color photos) and is broken down into these sections:
- First, We Brunch with recipes such as the Best Ever Fluffy Pancakes, Oooey-Gooey Cinnamon Rolls, and a Berry Breakfast Cake
- Indulge Yourself with recipes such as “I can’t believe it’s vegan” Roasted Garlic Alfredo, The Whole Enchilada Casserole, and Heavenly Veggie Pot Pie
- The Munchies with recipes such as Bangin’ BBQ Cauliflower Wings, Smash-’em-Up Salt and Vinegar Potatoes, and Crispy Zucchini Fritters
- Sweet Talk with recipes such as Drool Worthy Cinnamon Doughnuts, Luscious Lemon Drizzle Cake, Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake
- Bits and Bobs with recipes such as Life Changing Vegan Butter, Cheesy Brazil Nut Parm, Easy Garlic Ranch Dressing
White Bean Tomato Soup
So if you’re looking for a cozy and delicious meal for the whole family (or just for yourself, like me), I totally recommend this White Bean Tomato Soup.
I made a big pot, had some for dinner, some for lunch the next day and then froze some for a quick meal when I’m short on time and need something fast (but still healthy).
I love soups that are:
- simple to make
- have easy-to-find ingredients
- tastes delicious!
And Mel’s White Bean Tomato Soup is all of these things!
PS – If you make this White Bean Tomato Soup recipe, let me know what you think by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below.
Share your pictures of any of my recipes on Instagram and use #vnutrition or tag @v.nutrition so I won’t miss it!
White Bean Tomato Soup
Serve this brimming-with-flavor soup in deep bowls that you can cozily wrap your hands around on a chilly evening. It’s easy to make, easy to eat and one of those recipes that gets even more flavorful with time, so it is perfect for making ahead. It even freezes well.
Reprinted with permission from Vegan Comfort Cooking by Melanie McDonald, Page Street Publishing Co. 2019.
- 1 tbsp olive oil (or water)
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 ribs of celery finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 tsp smoked paprika or chipotle powder
- .5 tsp cumin
- .25 cup tomato paste
- 27 oz canned chopped fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 tsp salt plus more to taste
- .5 tsp black pepper
- 3 cups vegetable broth/stock
- 1 tbsp cane or granulated white sugar
- 4.5 cups white kidney, cannellini or lima beans drained and rinse
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil or water (for oil-free cooking) over medium heat. Sauté the onion and celery for about 10 minutes, until they are starting to go golden brown. If you are using water to sauté, you will need to add a little more water every few minutes to prevent the onion and celery from sticking.
Add the garlic, smoked paprika and cumin and continue to cook for another 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Then add all the other ingredients. Stir well to combine, allow to come to a simmer and cook for another 20 minutes. Add a little water to adjust the consistency to your liking,check the seasoning and adjust to taste; then serve.
I like the soup chunky,but you can use an immersion blender right in the pan to make it smoother and creamier, if you want to.
Make this soup with only 11/2 to 2 cups (360 to 480 ml) of stock instead of 3 cups (720 ml),so it’s more like a thick stew, and serve it over rice, quinoa or couscous.
Like this White Bean Tomato Soup recipe? You might also enjoy…
Mary Ellen Valverde MS, CNS, LDN is a Licensed Nutritionist and Certified Nutrition Specialist helping clients regain their energy, confidence and health through a plant-based diet. When she’s not reading up on the latest nutrition research, you can find Mary Ellen doting on her two rescue shih tzus, creating the perfect vegan mac & cheese, or exploring the world with her husband.