One of the most popular foods at street fairs in NYC is Mexican Street Corn. Freshly grilled sweet corn is coated with a mixture of vegan cheese and spiced mayonnaise to make this Vegan Street Fair Corn even better than the original!
I’m lucky to have lived right outside NYC most of my life. It’s so fun to go and see all the sites and indulge in tasty food. Because New York City is so diverse and there are so many ethnicities making their home here, choosing where to eat is always fun. Sadly, the food choices are not always vegan. But thanks to the internet we now have awesome bloggers recreating many classics. Today I have a veganized recipe for you that is so delicious and easy to make.
I’ve been to street fairs both in NYC and NJ but have never tried the street fair corn that is very popular at them. While tasty looking, I knew the creamy corn would not be dairy-free so I’ve always had to skip out – until now that is. Today I bring to you Vegan Street Fair Corn from the book NYC Vegan! This corn is grilled up nicely and smothered with a spicy vegan mayo and plant-based cheese to make a tasty side dish for any BBQ. It would seriously impress even non-vegans.
Can I tell you that I was amazed and impressed at how good this was? I figured it would be good but I snarfed down two ears right after taking this picture – then had to stop myself from eating the other two I saved for Matt. The grilling of the corn and making of the mayo only took about 10 minutes total! So easy!
BONUS TIME: I have a way for you to get a taste of the best vegan food in NYC like this Vegan Street Fair Corn. See below on how to win a copy of the book NYC Vegan where this tasty recipe is from!
Because of my love of New York City, I was so happy to have the chance to review the new book NYC Vegan: Iconic Recipes for a Taste of the Big Apple by Michael Suchman and Ethan Ciment. Michael and Ethan are from Brooklyn and are the guys behind the awesome blog VeganMos and the creators of the Vegan Street Fair Corn recipe.
NYC Vegan includes classic recipes like Manhattan clam chowder, Waldorf salad, New York-style cheesecake, black and white cookies, and zeppoles. Other cultural specialties like Polish pierogis, Italian lasagna, Jewish brisket, Dominican arroz con maíz, Greek avgolemono soup, and Puerto Rican mofongo are also included. Michael and Ethan also have a chapter that lists vegan restaurants and foods to try in NYC which is a big help for those traveling to NYC or for someone like me that wants to check out new places to eat.
Interested in a few more recipes from the book? Check out these reviews from my blogger friends:
Street Fair Corn is grilled & coated w/ #vegan cheese & spiced mayo to make a perfect summer snack!Click To Tweet
Vegan Street Fair Corn
I hope you enjoy the Stree Fair Corn as much as I do! Share your pictures on Instagram too and tag @v.nutrition and #vnutrition so I won’t miss it!
Vegan Street Fair Corn
One of the most popular foods at a street fair in NYC is Mexican Street Corn. Freshly grilled sweet corn is coated with a mixture of cheese and spiced mayonnaise but this Vegan Street Fair Corn is even better than the original.
This recipe is from NYC Vegan, copyright © 2017 by Michael Suchman and Ethan Ciment. Used by permission.
- 1/4 cup nondairy mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup nondairy sour cream
- 1/4 cup vegan parmesan , plus more for serving*
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder , plus more for serving
- 1 medium clove garlic , finely minced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro or Italian parsley
- 4 ears sweet corn , shucked
- 1 lime , cut into wedges
- Heat a grill for direct-heat grilling, or heat a grill pan over high heat on the stove. While the grill is heating, in a medium mixing bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, nondairy parmesan, chili powder, garlic, and cilantro. Stir until completely combined.
- Place the corn directly on the hot grill and cook, rotating occasionally, until cooked through and charred in spots on all sides, about 8 minutes total.
- Remove the corn from the grill and transfer to a serving plate. Use a pastry or basting brush to generously coat each ear of corn with the mayonnaise mixture. Sprinkle with extra cheese and chili powder and serve immediately with lime wedges.
* Feel free to use any vegan parm you enjoy.
You may also enjoy…
[cp_modal display=”inline” id=”cp_id_90426″][/cp_modal]