This Green Curry Tofu packs a flavorful punch with traditional curry spices and is topped off with delicious baked tofu.
Today I’m sharing a recipe for Recipe Redux. The Redux is a monthly recipe challenge that takes delicious dishes and but makes them healthier. Here’s what they had in-store for us this month:
Start unpacking your favorite vacation memories. Think about a trip you took state-side or internationally and create a healthy recipe from an unforgettable meal you enjoyed. Or, create a recipe from a native ingredient you saw or tasted on your travels.
My husband and I traveled to Germany and the Czech Republic this summer and wanted to choose a dish I had from my trip. Check out my Vegan Travels in Berlin and Postdam post where I talked about the tasty dinner I’m recreating. Since I miss our trip so much, I thought this recipe would take me back to our fun vacation.
Green Curry from Berlin
The dish I chose was a green curry dish with zucchini, broccoli, leeks and bean sprouts topped with tofu. It was light and delicious and I was hoping to make it exactly the way it tasted in Germany.
I went out and got all the ingredients, however, I couldn’t find any bean sprouts which was a disappointment (and that’s why you don’t see them in the picture) but I’m adding them in the recipe so you get the full experience.
Although I tried to recreate the dish exactly the same way I remembered it from my trip, it just didn’t taste that great the first time I made the sauce – it was kind of bland. Although the original sauce wasn’t creamy, I refashioned it with the coconut milk and it’s so much better!
Thai-Inspired Green Curry Tofu
- 14 oz organic firm tofu pressed, drained, and cut into cubes
- 1 TB olive oil for oil-free recipe, see notes*
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger minced (or ¼ tsp ginger powder)
- 1 head of broccoli cut into small florets
- 2 large zucchini sliced
GREEN CURRY SAUCE
- bean sprouts
- sesame seeds
- handful of fresh cilantro chopped
- Add a few tablespoons of water to the pan. Add onions and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger, and the rest of the vegetables and cook for another 3 mins.
- Add the curry sauce ingredients to the saucepan and bring to a boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 10 mins (or until veggies are done to your liking)
- Divide curry into bowls and top with tofu and optional toppings. Serve with your choice of rice, other grain, or even noodles.
- Cook tofu according to your prefered method (below)
- Bake the tofu for 20-25 mins at 375 degrees or air fry the tofu for 10-15 minutes at 400F (see post for more info)
- Cook the vegetables in veggie broth. Start with a few tablespoons and add more if needed.
Mary Ellen Valverde MS, CNS, LDN is a Licensed Nutritionist and Certified Nutrition Specialist who empowers vegans to feel confident creating sustainable habits that align with their values and health goals. She shares easy plant-powered food to nourish your body + satisfy your tastebuds. Mary Ellen’s recipes and nutrition info has been featured on Yahoo News, Parade, VegNews, LIVESTRONG, Dr. Axe, Greatist, LIVEKINDLY, Brit+Co, Well+Good, and more. She lives in NJ with her husband & two sweet shih tzus, Firenze & Sophie.