This Green Curry with Tofu packs a flavorful punch with traditional curry spices and is topped off with a delicious baked tofu.
Today I’m sharing a recipe for Recipe Redux. The Redux is a monthly recipe challenge that takes delicious dishes and but makes them healthier. Here’s what they had in-store for us this month:
Start unpacking your favorite vacation memories. Think about a trip you took state-side or internationally and create a healthy recipe from an unforgettable meal you enjoyed. Or, create a recipe from a native ingredient you saw or tasted on your travels.
My husband and I traveled to Germany and the Czech Republic this summer and wanted to choose a dish I had from my trip. Check out my Vegan Travels in Berlin and Postdam post where I talked about the tasty dinner I’m recreating. Since I miss our trip so much, I thought this recipe would take me back to our fun vacation.
Green Curry from Berlin
The dish I chose was a green curry dish with zucchini, broccoli, leeks and bean sprouts topped with tofu. It was light and delicious and I was hoping to make it exactly the way it tasted in Germany.
I went out and got all the ingredients, however, I couldn’t find any bean sprouts which was a disappointment (and that’s why you don’t see them in the picture) but I’m adding them in the recipe so you get the full experience.
Although I tried to recreate the dish exactly the same way I remembered it from my trip, it just didn’t taste that great the first time I made the sauce – it was kind of bland. Although the original sauce wasn’t creamy, I refashioned it with the coconut milk and it’s so much better!
- 1 container of firm tofu (pressed and drained)
- 2 TB tamari (or soy sauce)
- 3 TB veggie broth
- ½ tsp of onion powder
- ½ tsp of garlic powder
- GREEN CURRY SAUCE
- 1 tsp olive or coconut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tsp fresh ginger, minced (or ¼ tsp ginger powder)
- 2 TB green curry paste
- 1/4 Tsp turmeric
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 TB olive or coconut oil
- 1 leek, chopped
- 1 small head of broccoli, cut into small florets
- Veggie broth for sauteing
- 1 large zucchini, sliced
- 2 heads of bok choy, chopped
- 2-3 TB fresh cilantro, chopped
- ½ cup bean sprouts
- scallions, chopped (to taste)
- Dash of sesame seeds
- Once tofu is pressed, cut tofu into 4 pieces. Mix soy sauce, veggie broth, onion and garlic powders together and marinate the tofu for 5-10 mins. Bake tofu for 20 mins at 350 degrees.
- Add coconut oil* to a small sauce pan. When hot add garlic and ginger and cook for about 2-3 mins. Add the rest of the sauce ingredients and bring to a boil, then turn down heat and simmer for 10 mins.
- Meanwhile, in a large saute pan, heat oil* and add leeks until cooked. Add other veggies and enough veggie broth to saute them. Cook until mostly done about 5-7 mins adding more veggie broth if necessary. You don't want too much, just enough to cook the veggies.
- Add curry sauce to vegetables and cook for another 3-5 mins until veggies are fully cooked.
- Put veggies and sauce into bowls and top with baked tofu, bean sprouts, scallions, and a pinch of sesame seeds.
* If you're not using oil, you can cook the vegetables with veggie broth. Start with a few tablespoons and add more if needed.