These Heart of Palm and Artichoke Cakes are a vegan take on crab cakes. Savory and delicious, these cakes make a great entree, appetizer, or filling for a sandwich!
I used to love getting crab cakes before going vegan but had not found a suitable replacement, that is until trying Robin Robertson’s Heart of Palm and Artichoke Cakes from her new book Veganize It.
These cakes are perfect on their own as an entree but I could see myself using them in a few different ways: appetizers, sandwiches (like po’ boys), or salads. They would be yummy in anything they’re added to!
Photo by William and Susan Brinson
I’ve talked about Vegan Staples before and I love how Robin gives us easy basic recipes in the first chapter to stock a home pantry. With more than150 recipes and so many of color photos (which I love), I think this would be a great book for new vegans as well as seasoned vegans looking for more inspiration.
The book chapters are separated into sections like dairy- & egg-free, plant-based meats, vegan versions of seafood, condiments, sauces & dressings and of course vegan sweets.
Other recipes I can’t wait to try besides the Heart of Palm and Artichoke Cakes:
- Breakfast Nachos
- Roasted Cauliflower Piccata
- Smokey BBQ Pulled Jackfruit
- Cheesy Crackers
- Fish Free Tacos
- Handcrafted Lasagna
- Luscious Lava Cakes
Just to name a few!
Get your book today so you can Veganize It too!
These Heart of Palm and Artichoke Cakes are a delicious vegan take on crab cakes. Click To Tweet
Heart of Palm and Artichoke Cakes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil , plus more for frying
- ½ cup minced onion
- ¼ cup minced celery
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 (14 oz) jar of hearts of palm, well drained, patted dry, and roughly chopped
- 1 (6oz) jar of marinated artichoke hearts, well drained, patted dry, and roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon nori or dulse flakes
- ¼ cup vegan mayo
- ¾ cup panko bread crumbs*
- Lemon wedges , for serving
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and celery and cook until softened, 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the hearts of palm, artichoke hearts, Old Bay seasoning, cornstarch, nori flakes, and mayo. Add the cooled onion mixture and 1/4 cup of the panko, and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 6 to 8 portions and shape into small patties.
- Place the remaining 1/2 cup panko in a shallow bowl. Coat the patties with the bread crumbs and refrigerate or freeze for 20 minutes or longer.
- Heat a thin layer of oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat until hot and shimmering.
- Carefully place the patties in the skillet and cook until golden brown on each side, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer the cooked patties to a plate. Serve hot with lemon wedges.
Can use gluten-free panko break crumbs
You may also enjoy...
Like the recipe? It would be so wonderful if you could give it some love by sharing!