These Vegan Crab Cakes are made with hearts of palm and artichokes. Savory and delicious, these cakes make a great entree, appetizer, or filling for a sandwich!
I used to love getting crab cakes before going vegan but had not found a suitable replacement, that is until trying Robin Robertson’s Heart of Palm and Artichoke Cakes from her new book Veganize It.
These Vegan Crab Cakes are perfect on their own as an entree but I could see myself using them in a few different ways: appetizers, sandwiches (like po’ boys), or salads. They would be yummy in anything they’re added to!
Photo by William and Susan Brinson
I’ve talked about Ktichen Vegan Staples before and I love how Robin gives us easy basic recipes in the first chapter to stock a home pantry. With more than 150 recipes and so many of color photos (which I love), I think this would be a great book for new vegans as well as seasoned vegans looking for more inspiration.
The book chapters are separated into sections like dairy- & egg-free, plant-based meats, vegan versions of seafood, condiments, sauces & dressings and of course vegan sweets.
Other recipes I can’t wait to try besides the Heart of Palm and Artichoke Cakes:
- Breakfast Nachos
- Roasted Cauliflower Piccata
- Smokey BBQ Pulled Jackfruit
- Cheesy Crackers
- Fish Free Tacos
- Handcrafted Lasagna
- Luscious Lava Cakes
Just to name a few! Get your book today so you can Veganize It too!
If you make this recipe, let me know what you think by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below.
Vegan Crab Cakes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil , plus more for frying
- ½ cup minced onion
- ¼ cup minced celery
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 (14 oz) jar of hearts of palm, well drained, patted dry, and roughly chopped
- 1 (6oz) jar of marinated artichoke hearts, well drained, patted dry, and roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon nori or dulse flakes
- ¼ cup vegan mayo
- ¾ cup gluten free panko bread crumbs (or regular panko breadcrumbs if not gf)
- Lemon wedges , for serving
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and celery and cook until softened, 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the hearts of palm, artichoke hearts, Old Bay seasoning, cornstarch, nori flakes, and mayo. Add the cooled onion mixture and 1/4 cup of the panko, and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 6 to 8 portions and shape into small patties.
- Place the remaining 1/2 cup panko in a shallow bowl. Coat the patties with the bread crumbs and refrigerate or freeze for 20 minutes or longer.
- Heat a thin layer of oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat until hot and shimmering.
- Carefully place the patties in the skillet and cook until golden brown on each side, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer the cooked patties to a plate. Serve hot with lemon wedges.
Get your FREE Vegan Made Easy Guide!
You may also enjoy...
Mary Ellen Valverde MS, CNS, LDN is a Licensed Nutritionist and Certified Nutrition Specialist helping people thrive on a plant-powered diet. Mary Ellen offers a completely holistic and science-based approach to designing a healthy, plant-based life.
When she’s not working with clients or creating new meals for her blog, you can find Mary Ellen doting on her two rescue shih tzus, creating the perfect vegan mac & cheese, or exploring the world with her husband.