Marinated in a tangy mix of plant milk, miso, lemon juice, and Italian herbs, this Vegan Tofu Feta Cheese tastes creamy and bright, just like the real thing! It’s the ultimate salad topping and even makes for a great snack.
Before I went vegan, I was a complete cheese fiend. It’s why I’ve created so many vegan cheese recipes, like Nacho Cheese Sauce and Vegan Parmesan! While I could never get enough of the creamy, cheesy flavors, the strong smell of feta cheese always made me draw the line.
That is until I tried Vegan Tofu Feta Cheese for the first time! Who knew marinating bite-sized tofu cubes in dairy free milk, miso, vinegar, lemon juice, and a few seasonings could create such a realistic and healthy substitute?
Every bite is salty, briny, and tangy, just like the classic! I love to crumble this easy vegan cheese on top of salads, grain bowls, soups, and more. It’s the ultimate recipe you can whip up in just 10 minutes and keep in your fridge at all times.
Is vegan feta healthier than feta made from dairy?
Tofu is a really healthy food that’s also extremely versatile. When you use it to make cheese, you’ll be happy to know that the vegan substitute is high in protein, calcium, iron, and low in calories. Classic feta cheese is lower in calories than a lot of other dairy cheeses but is way higher in sodium.
What does tofu feta taste like?
This tofu feta recipe tastes salty, briny, and creamy all thanks to a simple marinade. The taste is very similar to the classic dairy cheese and because it’s made with tofu instead of nuts or dairy, the texture is much lighter.
What is vegan feta made from?
Mostly tofu! That’s right, this feta cheese substitute is made from tofu and a handful of seasonings. All it takes are a few simple ingredients:
- Tofu – You must use extra firm tofu. Medium or soft tofu will be way too crumbly and will fall apart! Plus, the extra firm has a realistic texture that’s so similar to real feta.
- Dairy free milk – I used almond milk but you can use any plant milk you like. Just make sure it’s unsweetened!
- White miso – To give the cheese a tangy umami flavor.
- Apple cider vinegar – This is what gives the vegan feta the classic tangy flavor.
- Lemon juice – Again, this adds a nice tangy brightness to the cheese. It also helps cut through the seasonings and miso.
- Seasonings – A mix of nutritional yeast, Italian seasonings, salt and pepper, and garlic powder give the feta its cheesy, herby, and savory flavors.
How to make vegan tofu feta cheese
It couldn’t be easier to make your own vegan feta cheese. The hardest part is the waiting!
Here’s how it’s done:
Step 1: Prepare the tofu: Cut your brick of tofu into bite-sized pieces and place them in a container.
Step 2: Make the marinade: Stir all of the marinade ingredients together in a bowl.
Step 3: Marinate the tofu: Pour the marinade over the tofu in the container (it should be fully covered). Place it in the fridge overnight.
Step 4: Serve: When it’s done marinating, feel free to sprinkle the crumbled tofu feta over salads, pasta, or enjoy it as a snack!
How to use vegan feta cheese
This crumbly vegan cheese is an essential part of Mediterranean cuisine, as it adds a nice briny, salty pop of flavor to Greek salad, soups, and roasted vegetables.
I always have a jar in my fridge to top of pasta salad, lentil salad, or falafel bowls for lunch. It even goes well on tofu scramble for breakfast or paired with olives, fresh veggies, bread, and crackers on a vegan cheese plate.
The longer it marinates, the tastier the feta will be! Keep the tofu covered in the feta marinade in the fridge overnight or for at least 6 to 8 hours before serving.
Pressing the tofu beforehand will remove all of the excess liquid and help the tofu soak up the marinade and become as flavorful as possible. You can press the tofu using a tofu press or wrap it in a clean dish towel and place a heavy book or two on top.
The tofu in the marinade will last in the fridge for about 5 days.
No, this isn’t a melting cheese, unlike my vegan mozzarella cheese. It’s better suited as a salad or pasta topping!
More vegan cheese recipes
- Chipotle Queso Dip – This hearty cashew cheese dip tastes just like the Mexican classic.
- Port Wine Cheese Ball – A rich and flavorful snack that’s always a hit at parties.
- Vegan Mozzarella Cheese – It just isn’t a true vegan pizza without melty, creamy mozzarella.
- Easy Vegan Nacho Cheese – Creamy and cheesy sauce or dip with a kick of spice!
If you make this recipe and LOVE IT, please give it 5 stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐!
Vegan Tofu Feta
- Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl except for the tofu.
- Cut tofu into small bite size pieces and place in a glass container large enough for the tofu to be fully covered by the mixture.
- Pour mixture over tofu, cover, and place in refrigerator overnight (or for at least 6-8 hours). The longer the tofu sits in the mixture, the tastier the feta will be.
- Tofu will last in the fridge about 5 days the tofu is kept in the liquid.
Please Note: The nutritional information is a computer generated estimate so these numbers should be used only as a guide.
Mary Ellen Valverde MS, CNS, LDN is a Licensed Nutritionist and Certified Nutrition Specialist who empowers vegans to feel confident in creating sustainable habits that align with their values and health goals. She shares easy gluten-free plant-powered food to nourish your body + satisfy your tastebuds. Mary Ellen’s recipes and nutrition info have been featured on Yahoo News, Parade, VegNews, LIVESTRONG, Dr. Axe, Greatist, LIVEKINDLY, Brit+Co, Well+Good, and more.