This amazing Vegan Queso will satisfy any cheesy craving. It’s made with cashews and tastes just like the queso dip at Mexican restaurants but it’s dairy-free!
Before my veg days, my sister and I used to love going to Mexican restaurants anytime we had a chance. We’d order margaritas and a big appetizer of queso dip and go to town on it – I mean, really go to town.
I remember once the waitress coming back with our drinks about 3 minutes after giving us the queso and it was already gone. She looked at us like we were crazy. And to be honest, there were a few times we didn’t even order entrees, only the queso – one for each of us.
Since going vegan I’ve missed my queso soooo much. I’ve tried numerous vegan recipes but nothing was as good as I remembered…until now.
Today I’m sharing the BEST vegan chipotle queso dip I’ve had. That’s saying something because I was obviously OBSESSED with queso (well basically anything cheesy) before going vegan.
I think I’ve said it before – I used to have a cheese drawer in the fridge that had my stash of cheese in it. That is how much I used to love cheese.
Now that I’m plant-based, I love finding tasty dairy-free replacements (like my Vegan Mac and Cheese, Pumpkin Mac & Cheese, Alfredo Sauce and feta cheese) and I think this queso recipe is one you’ll love too.
Creamy & Healthy Queso Dip
I used cashews as a base for my Vegan Queso. I thought they would work well because I’ve used them before to make things creamy like my Colcannon Soup and ranch dipping sauce for my Buffalo Quinoa Balls.
This dip is a tiny bit spicy because of the chipotle pepper but my mom even ate it and she can’t handle spicy so it should be okay for those of you not into too much spice. If you’re like me and want more heat, add another half of a chipotle in.
While every once in a while I do have some tasty tortilla chips, I usually like to keep things extra healthy and dip in carrot chips or other sliced veggies.
I tested my Vegan Queso on my sister (who still eats cheese) and she snarfed it up. She said she really couldn’t tell the difference between this and the queso we used to have – which is exactly what I wanted to hear! I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
If you make this Vegan Chipotle Queso recipe, let me know what you think by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below.
Vegan Chipotle Queso
- 3 TB chopped cilantro (optional)
- Add all ingredients (except tomatoes) into a high-speed blender* and blend until smooth. If it’s too thick, add small amounts of water. You want it smooth but thick.
- Transfer mixture to saucepan/skillet and stir in most or all of the tomatoes. I like keeping some of the tomatoes as a garnish on top but you don’t have to.
- Heat on low for a few minutes while constantly stirring until queso is warm. IMPORTANT: Make sure you keep stirring because I have found that cashew sauces burn or stick to the pan easily!
- Top with cilantro and tortilla chips and enjoy!
- If you don’t have time to soak the cashews that long, you can put them in boiling water for 10-15 minutes.
- I use a high speed blender like a Vitamix when blending the cashews.
Mary Ellen Valverde MS, CNS, LDN is a Licensed Nutritionist and Certified Nutrition Specialist who empowers vegans to feel confident creating sustainable habits that align with their values and health goals. She shares easy plant-powered food to nourish your body + satisfy your tastebuds. Mary Ellen’s recipes and nutrition info have been featured on Yahoo News, Parade, VegNews, LIVESTRONG, Dr. Axe, Greatist, LIVEKINDLY, Brit+Co, Well+Good, and more. She lives in NJ with her husband & two sweet shih tzus, Firenze & Sophie.