This simple Tofu Green Bean Stir Fry is easy to make, healthy, and delicious. It’s vegan, gluten-free, and doesn’t contain MSG like you’d get from many local takeout places. Have the takeout without the guilt!
I know you probably know the feeling of being so tired after a hard day that all you want to do is sit on the couch, watch a little indulgent TV, and order some takeout. I’ve been there, done it (more than I like to admit).
The problem is, after eating some of that takeout, I feel overly full and kind of gross with all the additives and extra sodium that is usually found in there. Ever feel like that too?
If you know what I’m talking about, I’ve got the perfect dish for you today – my Simple Tofu Green Bean Stir Fry.
Healthier than Takeout
The problem with takeout is that I’m never really sure what’s in the sauce or the type and amount of oil they use. When making a homemade version of one of my favorite takeout dishes, I can control exactly what I put in my sauce and how much oil I use.
Brown sauces from Chinese restaurants can contain sugar, MSG, lots of salt, beef/chicken broth, etc. I’m not down with all that stuff so I like to make my own using simple ingredients from my kitchen.
I do use some oil to fry up the tofu which I know some people might not be down with and I get it, I used to feel the same way – that oil was the enemy.
I’m using only 1 TB of healthy oil, and to me, that isn’t a problem. I get the crispiness and tastiness of frying without too many extra calories plus the heart-healthy benefits of extra virgin olive oil.
Simple Tofu Green Bean Stir Fry
I chose string beans because my local Chinese restaurant has a tasty dish I sometimes get with tofu and green beans. Now I can have takeout without feeling guilty.
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do. If you try it, please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback and star rating.
- 4 cups green beans trimmed
- 14 oz organic firm or extra tofu in water drained and pressed (for at least 15 mins) and cut into cubes
- 1 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth or water
- 3 TB tamari or soy sauce if not gluten-free
- 1 TB maple syrup
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 TB cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes optional
- Using a saute pan or pot with a steamer basket, steam green beans for 8-10 minutes, depending on how crisp you like them.*
- Meanwhile, add oil in a nonstick pan over medium heat and cook tofu on one side for 5 minutes.
- While the tofu is cooking, mix sauce ingredients in a bowl until smooth.
- Flip tofu and cook for another 3-5 minutes until crispy.
- Add sauce to the tofu and stir continuously until it is thickened.
- Turn off heat, add cooked green beans, and stir until incorporated.
- Serve with some brown rice and enjoy!
Get your FREE Vegan Made Easy Guide!
You may also like…
Mary Ellen Valverde MS, CNS, LDN is a Licensed Nutritionist and Certified Nutrition Specialist who helps vegans find ways to make mealtimes easier (and healthier).
When she’s not creating new recipes for her blog, you can find Mary Ellen doting on her two shih tzus or exploring the world with her husband.