You won’t need takeout with this Asian Baked Tofu and Shaved Brussels Sprouts recipe! The tofu is marinated, baked, and then topped with sauce for extra flavor!
I had a serious hankering for some Asian tofu the other day and was going to order from my local Chinese restaurant but I got to thinking about all the sodium and non-organic, non-GMO tofu they’re probably using. After that, I reconsidered and decided to make some of my own.
I’ve made tofu recipes in the past (like in my Thai Basil Noodles) but I wanted something that resembled a dish I’d get from a takeout place… only healthier. I decided to bake the tofu to make it a little crispy and then add the sauce at the end. I love those sticky types of sauces that are made with like 10lbs of sugar (who’s with me?) but since I’m being a good little health-conscious Mary Ellen, I came up with a sauce that only has 1 TB of healthier sweetener for the whole recipe.
Marinating and baking tofu then adding another sauce, creates a ton of flavor. The cornstarch is what makes the sauce thick and sticky – but be careful, do not overcook the sauce! It will burn easily so only heat it quickly before pouring over the tofu.
You won't need takeout with this Asian Baked Tofu & Shaved Brussels Sprouts recipe! Click To Tweet
Asian Baked Tofu with Shaved Brussels Sprouts
You won't need takeout with this Asian Baked Tofu and Shaved Brussels Sprouts recipe! The tofu is marinated, baked, and then topped with sauce for extra flavor!
- 14 oz block firm non-GMO tofu , drained and pressed
- 2 cups of shaved Brussels sprouts*
- 1 TB olive or coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp of salt and pepper
- 3 TB tamari (or soy sauce if not gf)
- 1 TB rice wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 TB real maple syrup (grade A or B)
- 3 TB veggie broth or water
- 1.5 TB corn starch
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 TB red pepper flakes (or less if you're not as into spicy)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
After tofu is pressed, cut into 1" cubes.
- Mix all the marinade ingredients and marinate cubes for 10-15 minutes.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- When tofu is almost done, add 1 TB of olive oil to pan along with Brussels sprouts and cook for about 3-5 minutes until done to your liking.
- Once tofu is ready, mix all of the sauce ingredients in saucepan and heat on very low heat for about 1-2 minutes. Take off heat as soon as it begins to bubble slightly.
- Coat tofu with sauce and serve with Brussels sprouts.
To shave Brussels sprouts you can use a mandolin or pulse them in batches in a food processor. You can also cut them finely. I've begun to see stores selling them pre-shaved as well.
You may also enjoy:
[cp_modal display=”inline” id=”cp_id_90426″][/cp_modal]
Like my Asian Baked Tofu recipe? It would be so wonderful if you could give it some love by sharing!