These Spicy Sesame Noodles are perfect when you have a craving for Chinese sesame noodles but also want a little kick. They’re so easy to make and much healthier than takeout!
Pasta is a staple in my house. Truth time: I probably have about 10 different kinds of pasta in my kitchen right now. It is so comforting to me because it’s what I ate all the time as a kid. Even now I have to make a pasta at least once a week. Some of my favorites are my Vegan Mac & Cheese and Thai Basil Noodles. My easy One Pot Lemon Pasta is perfect when I’m in a hurry.
Knowing how pasta obsessed I am, you probably won’t be surprised when I tell you I love the cold sesame noodles you can order at Chinese restaurants. I just can’t get enough of them. There’s just something about the creaminess of the sauce that gets me every time.
Better Than Takeout Noodles
To save some money (I used to order the sesame noodles often), I thought I’d start making my own version. Since I’m also obsessed with spice and hot sauce, I decided to put my own caliente spin on the noodles. My version, which I call Spicy Sesame Noodles, adds a little heat in both temperature and spiciness.
A few reasons why I love these noodles:
- they’re spicy (obviously)
- they’re filling (extra protein from the tahini and tempeh)
- they’re inexpensive to make
- they impress dinner guests
- they can be made gluten-free if you use gf noodles
Spicy Sesame Noodles with Tempeh
To add some protein, I decided to include tempeh. The method I describe in the recipe below is my favorite simple way to cook tempeh. All you need is some tempeh, olive oil and 5 minutes. The tempeh comes out browned and tasty! If you’re new to tempeh, check out my Teriyaki Tempeh recipe where I share more info on this interesting food.These spicy sesame noodles are a perfect way to get a healthy meal on the table fast! Click To Tweet
Spicy Sesame Noodles
These Spicy Sesame Noodles are perfect when you have a craving for Chinese sesame noodles but also want a little kick. They're so easy to make and much healthier than take out!
- 12 oz spaghetti or linguine (gluten-free if needed)
- 1 package of tempeh
- 1 TB oil or coconut oil
- 1 TB tamari
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional but tasty!)
- 2 TB sesame seeds (I used black but white it fine too)
- 3 scallions chopped
- Cook noodles to package directions.
- While noodles are cooking, put tempeh block in a bowl and kind of mash it with a fork until crumbly.
- Add oil to large pan. Once heated, add tempeh crumbles and tamari and cook for about 5 minutes until heated and browned.
- Add all sauce ingredients to a bowl and stir until smooth.
- When noodles are cooked, add them to a large bowl with the sauce. Add in tempeh and mix.
- Top with sesame seeds and scallions.
* Nutritional info does not include pasta.
You may also enjoy...
Like my Spicy Sesame Noodles recipe? It would be so wonderful if you could give it some love by sharing it!